LEDs from OSRAM Opto Semiconductors deliver energy-efficient lighting solutions for many outdoor LED lighting applications.
Author: Chen Farn Hin
Did you know that…India is the fourth largest country in the world in electricity consumption? And, improving efficiency of power consumption from street lighting is one very important domain because it consumes a total of 18% to 38% of the total energy bill according to the global trend*. At Osram, our leadership in high quality and high-powered LEDs can help to mitigate the challenges faced for such outdoor applications, reducing unnecessary fitting efforts, expenses and heavy maintenance cost. More importantly, our portfolio also meets the Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) requirements that was set-up under the country’s Ministry of Power.
The Economic Times online media reported on 28 April 2017 that “Replacement of 21 lakh conventional street lights with LEDs has resulted in annual energy savings of 295 million units and reduction of 2.3 lakh tonnes of CO2 annually.”
Why consider LED?
LED technology enables significant energy saving and also minimises maintenance efforts and costs through its long lifecycle and superior lumen maintenance performance. This is especially important in the field of street light application as the maintenance work is challenging due to difficult working environments (outdoor, climate influences, high poles, etc.)
LED lighting is also easily dimmable by utilising dimmable drivers thereby enabling dimmable street light solutions. The brightness of LED street light can be adjusted according to the time of day, traffic flow, ambient or weather conditions.
Unlike conventional bulbs, LED is a single point source, which makes it easy to shape its light pattern by utilising second level lenses or reflectors. Therefore, luminaires using LED provide more homogeneous and less glaring illumination.
To address the lack of electricity in India, the government is also focusing on renewable energy as another source. In this case, LED components are extremely suitable for solar-powered lighting because it can easily be integrated with the battery as it operates on Direct Current (DC).
High-efficacy can be achieved with the use of LEDs, which is a very important factor in street lighting. It also contributes to reduction of energy consumption and hence, the battery size can be reduced. This helps to lessen the overall system cost.
This is also consistent with the government of India’s initiative to ensure electricity is efficiently utilised and that is by strictly following the parameters issued by EESL. Thus, by using LEDs meeting the high requirements would help the country’s energy projects reach the highest efficiency.
What are the key challenges of outdoor application?
The outdoor application field provides a number of challenges to the LED technology, which in some areas differ with requirements for indoor application.
- Extreme ambient temperature and high humidityLuminaires operate in an ambient temperature between -40°C to +50°C. The temperature inside the enclosure will be even higher, and therefore, electronic components including LED need to be designed to operate at high temperature and withstand a high humidity.
- Drastic temperature changeTemperature differences between day and night are significant and can cause expansion and contraction of materials. Any CTE (Coefficient of Thermal Expansion) mismatch of material will result in product failure.
- Easy maintenanceOutdoor luminaires are usually serviced on-site in a difficult working environment, therefore, all parts (power supply, LED modules, etc.) should be in a modular format to be easily replaced with minimum effort. Cables should be connected through connectors.
- Protection against water, dust and mechanical impactOutdoor luminaires should meet IP65 (Ingress Protection) and IK08 rating (protection against mechanical impact)
Summary of key requirements:
- High Reliability and Outdoor Stability LED must be able to operate under extreme outdoor temperature, high humidity environment and have to be corrosion and UV resistant
- Lifetime (Lumen and Color Maintenance) LED need to fulfill lumen and color maintenance requirements (e.g. TM-21 lifetime)
- Color Angular Uniformity Important for wall washer or flood light applications for better user experience
- Cost Competitive
Guideline: Typical specifications for various outdoor applications
Which LED components for Street Lighting?
Osram Opto Semiconductors offers a broad range of LED portfolio and optimised products to meet the specific requirements of every application field including meeting the EESL requirements.Duris® P 8 and Duris® S 8 are recommended for high efficacy and long lifetime, enabling significant energy savings. They are our professional LED products that come with best-in-class reliability and performance. Both have been successfully designed and widely used in many of our outdoor application projects in Europe and India.
Duris P 8
|Product Key Features
· Small size at 3.7 × 3.7 mm
· Professional outdoor lighting (street- and tunnel lighting)
|Product Key Features
Duris S 8
OSRAM Opto Semiconductors comes with decades of experience in a broad variety of LED application sectors as well as through its compliance with the highest quality standards. It is uniquely positioned to cover the whole range of LED technology needed in all Outdoor lighting sectors. You have the idea, we have the solution. Ask us at https://www.ledlightforyou.com or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Author: Chen Farn Hin is System Expert for General Lighting (GL) at OSRAM Opto Semiconductors.
Source: Map of India, Title: Street Lighting in India and Need for Energy-efficient Solutions