Project: LED Street Lighting
Project Owner: Eon Electric Limited in association with EESL
Client: Aligarh Municipal Corporation, UP State Government
Lighting projects traditionally have been segregated into 2 parts – Lighting Equipment Manufacturers, who manufacture all such equipment & Contractors who install them. LED projects being executed by EON are perhaps the first such projects wherein supply & execution of the smart street lighting projects are being done by a single company in India on such massive scale.
The Opportunity – Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) is a PSU that has been set by Ministry of Power, Govt. of India, to execute energy efficiency projects including replacing the power guzzling Sodium/Mercury Vapour & other conventional lighting systems with state-of-the art LED Lighting systems. The project is by far the biggest LED street lighting project in the world & EON has very quickly taken a leadership position in assisting EESL execute this project in many states of the country
Aligarh – Eon’s journey started with Aligarh in May, 2015, which is located in the western part of the state of Uttar Pradesh. It is one of the oldest cities in India & is a melting pot of diverse socio-political agendas. The project involved replacement of more than 13,000 conventional streetlights with EON LED streetlights, installing a GSM based Central Controlling
- Monitoring System (CCMS) on available switch points & satisfactorily maintaining all this equipment for 7 years. Prior to commencing Installation EON conducted a survey which revealed that –Streetlight Infrastructure, which includes the power supply to lights through a dedicated street lighting conductor connected through a switch point for On/Off operations, was not well organized in Aligarh
- At many places the lights were installed on housing power lines, which meant that the lights would glow 24X7 and was not being charged to the concerned consumer thereby defeating the objective of the project
- The condition of pole arms on which retrofitting (removing old lights & installing LED Lights) was to be done, was in poor condition
- The illumination (LUX Level) was very poor as many old lights were not working
A massive drive was undertaken by EON in close co-ordination with EESL, Aligarh Municipal Corporation & Discom to rectify the street lighting phase simultaneously & bring back the lights from housing phase to street lighting phase and replace pole arms wherever required to ensure that lights are properly focused on the road. In a record time EON replaced more than 14,000 conventional lights which were consuming 1538 KW with LED Lights consuming just 723KW resulting in a saving of 815 KW of power. With power tariff of Rs 7 per unit and 12 hours operation per day, the City of Aligarh now saves Rs 2.5 crore per annum in consequence of the replacement of the conventional lights. Highly sophisticated CCMS devices have also been installed on each switch point, which through an on-board GSM chip transmits real time data to EON servers on – Power situation, Power Consumption and Faulty Lights. The server in turn sends SMSs to the EON maintenance team at site, on any abnormal reading, which in turn, rushes to the field to rectify the default immediately, thereby creating a seamless maintenance infrastructure. To be even closer to the citizens of Aligarh, EON has set up a toll free helpline to address complaints of any nature that they might have with streetlights.
Project: Street Lighting
Project Owner: Electric Limited in association with
Client: Municipal Corporation, Rajasthan State Government
Jodhpur – Looking at the performance of Aligarh project despite the tough infrastructure conditions, EON was awarded project for retrofitting LED streetlights in half of the city of Jodhpur, which involved 30,000 street lights. The time line given to EON was just 4 months. The city of Jodhpur is located in the state of Rajasthan. Set under the towering Mehrangarh fort, it is also known as the blue city as most buildings are painted blue. A survey was conducted by EON to assess the condition of the infrastructure. The street lighting infrastructure situation here was relatively better than Aligarh, with close to 90% lights on dedicated street light phase line. However, the lux level of the convention lights were far from desired one due to poor condition of lights. It was also discovered that the actual quantity, which needs to be installed, is not more than 25,000, although the BOQ had specified 30,000.
- Many old poles on which lights were un-necessarily installed were ignored. With the close support of EESL team, EON started installation work taking special care that LED lights are installed only on dedicated street lighting phase, so that proper ON/ Off switching can be organized ruling out any power loss. In a record time of just two months after commencing installation all existing conventional lights were replaced with LED lights thereby reducing the power consumption from 6241 KW to 2460 KW resulting in saving of Rs. 11.60 crore per annum.
- Looking at the speed of execution of this project, EON was asked to replace the remaining conventional street lights in the other half of the city as well by LED streetlights and thus EON became the only manufacturer to have been awarded 2 projects in this phase of EESL Rajasthan project.
- EON has since then completed all installations in the second phase as well & is now installing LEDs on the new empty poles in the city. A fully functional helpline has been set up to rectify any complaints that might come up.
In words of the Mayor of Jodhpur, being a tourist place, a lot of foreigners come to the city & installation of white LED lights with much better illumination will have a strong positive impact on their inflow in times to come.
Rajasthan Phase 3 – The EON juggernaut continues to roll forward having been awarded its biggest project so far, in which EON is going to install approx. 1.2 lakh street lights in 20 cities of Rajasthan. The project is expected to be completed by August 2016.
About Eon Electric:
EON is one of the fastest growing Street Lighting Companies having a state-of-art manufacturing facility in Haridwar, Uttarakhand & a team of dedicated project execution professionals based at its head office in Noida, U.P. At EON, we are committed towards taking up more challenging projects not only in street lighting but also in other energy-efficient lighting projects as well, such as outdoor lighting, indoor lighting, railway station lighting, metro rail lighting, tunnel lighting, etc. We continue to be inspired by our legacy of providing energy efficient & ahead-of-times products to the nation & would like to leave more such success stories for future Eonites, in times to come.